God Guns Government – the dreaded Three G’s – seem to cause more fights online, over the fences of neighbors and at the family function table than anything else on the planet. They cause wars in some places, boundary disputes with others, family fallouts and destroyed friendships.
I know people have strong opinions (and I do too on these three topics) but they are just opinions and I have learned to avoid discussing them to maintain friends, family and neighbor harmony. And so here is a useful tool that you can use to avoid the angst caused by the debates around God Guns Government!
I invoke the Three G rule!
No discussions of God Guns Government
What is the Three G rule?
Its really simple – when the Three G rule is invoked, there is no discussion of things that fall under the God, Guns or Government topics!
- You can use this just for yourself – tell yourself that you have invoked the Three G rule before you go online or attend a family function 🙂
- You can use this for an online forum – make it part of the forum/thread rule. Why not even post the image above as a reminder?
- You can use it for a meeting/conference/family function – announce it at the start as part of ‘housekeeping’
The icon above with the red circle is a super neat way to let people know what rule is in effect online. The red means NO….so simple really. Rather than you having to explain the concept you can just use cut and paste the red HTML below into your forum page or topic thread and it will show the icon and link back to this explanation!
<a href=”http://www.almostafarmer.com/god-guns-government/ ”><img class=”size-full wp-image-913″ src=”http://www.almostafarmer.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/GGG-red.png” alt=”god guns government” width=”226″ height=”218″ /></a>
I revoke the Three G rule!
Discussions of God Guns Government is ALLOWED.
Sometimes it is great to revoke the Three G rule and allow yourself (and others) to talk through the issues associated with God, guns, government. However I offer these points as some guidance to maintain some calm and dignity :p
First some simple definitions:
Opinion :- a persons point of view, based on their understanding or belief.
Fact :- a truth that can be demonstrated by evidence over and over again.
So some suggested guidelines
1. Treat each other with respect.
2. Understand that a persons opinion (especially your own) is just that – an opinion. Do NOT think that your opinion is automatically a fact.
3. Understand that it maybe (probably is) impossible to change a persons opinion.
4. Know that every person has a right to have an opinion and voice it, even if it does not align with your own.
5. Know that is it OK to disagree with another persons opinion as long as you realize that others will disagree with your opinion. However, disagreeing with an opinion can only be done when guideline 1 (respect) is followed.
6. It is always better to invoke the Three G rule on yourself and leave the discussion than to break guideline 1 (respect).
Again, the icon is green so it means YES you can discuss God Guns Government. Again, rather than you having to explain the concept you can just use cut and paste the green HTML below into your forum page or topic thread and it will show the icon and link back to this explanation!
<a href=”http://www.almostafarmer.com/god-guns-government/”><img class=”wp-image-912 size-full” src=”http://www.almostafarmer.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/GGG-green.png” alt=”It’s GREEN – so lets the discussion fun begin.” width=”226″ height=”218″ /></a>
I hope this simple little tool can help your forum, online discussions, neighborly chats, family functions and more become a friendlier and more respectful place – by invoking (or even revoking with guidelines) the Three G’s rule – God Guns Government.
If you enjoy this type of ‘stuff’, click follow on the button on the bottom of the right hand side – and/or share using the tools below or add a link to your blog! 🙂